Facts about the Circulatory System
The heart and circulatory system for kids
1. It takes 20 seconds for blood to circulate the entire body. Oxygenated blood leaves the aorta about about 1 mile an hour.
2. The power output of the heart ranges from 1-5 watts per minute. Which is the equivalent to the usage of a 60 watt bulb. It has been said that enough energy is produced a day to drive a truck 20 miles.
3. “Ventricle” means “little belly” in Latin where as “Atrium” is Latin for “entrance hall”.
4. Red blood cells live for upto 4 months and make approximately 250,000 round trips around the body before returning to the bone marrow, where they were born, to die. Between 2.5 and 3 million red blood cells (erythrocytes) are lost and replaced every second.
5. Human blood is colourless, it is the hemoglobin that makes it red.
6. Due to the heart having its own electrical impulse, it will continue to beat even when removed from the body as long as it has an adequate supply of oxygen.
7. On average, the human body has about 5 liters (almost 9 pints) of blood continually traveling through it by way of the circulatory system. A kitchen tap would need to be turned on all the way for at least 45 years to equal the amount of blood pumped by the heart in an average lifetime.
Learn More About: