When running the hamstrings act eccentrically to slow down the knee extension motion. Hamstring strains are common in individuals with chronically tight hamstrings or who do not warm-up thoroughly.
- Ischial tuberosity
- Upper medial surface of the tibia
- Hip extension
- Knee flexion
- Internal rotation of the hip when the knee is flexed
- Tibial part of the sciatic nerve
- Bending the knee to step over something
How can I stretch it?
How can I strengthen it?
- Knee curl machine
- Hip extension using body weight
- Hip extension using a resistance band