The aim is to learn correct shooting technique in order to accurately and consistently score goals.
Netball Shooting Drills
Organisation: 1 post, 1 ball, 1 shooter. Take up a stationary position close to the post. Use the techniques listed in the coaching points to perfect your shooting skill.
- Feet in a comfortable forward facing position, not too far apart
- Balanced position, with equal weight on both feet and hips facing the front
- Ball held by dominant hand and high above the head. Fingers point back and are slightly open, ball sits in your hand.
- Second hand is placed at the side of the ball to steady its position
- Elbows slightly flexed, lined in the direction of the post.
- Focus on a point above the ring to give height to your shot
- Power through the ankles by pushing up through slightly flexed knees
- Maintain balanced position
- Flex elbows not allowing the ball to drop behind your head
- Wrist flicks as the ball is released off the fingers in order to create a backwards spin
- Fingers follow the ball on a high trajectory towards the post, dropping in to the ring
- Aim to drop the ball through the net without it touching the ring