The multi stage fitness test is a very common way of estimating a players aerobic fitness. Players run backwards and forwards between two cones in time with a beep which gets increasingly quicker.
Multi-Stage Fitness - Bleep Test
Aim: To test Aerobic Endurance
Suitable for: All ages
Equipment: Tape measure, cones, tape recorder, multi-stage fitness test tape.
- Player continually runs between two lines 20 metres apart in time to beeps on a tape.
- Initial speed is 8.5km/hour increasing by 0.5km/hour each minute.
- Subjects must touch the line at each end.
- The test is divided into stages to help monitor your progress at subsequent tests.
- The test finishes when you can no longer reach the end marker before the bleep.
Scoring: The level and number of shuttles reached is recorded.
- Large groups can be tested at the same time.
- Minimal equipment and costs – Tape measure, cones, tape recorder, multi-stage fitness test tape.
Reliability and validity:
Correlation to Vo2 max is good. Reliability and validity are affected by subject’s motivation. This is a maximal test and lack of motivation will not give a reliable and valid result.