Players dribble around a coned out obstacle course. You can get creative in how you mark out the course.
Soccer dribbling drills
Aim: To improve dribbling techniques
Suitable for: U7’s and upwards
Equipment: In an area appropriate for age and ability you will need cones and 1 ball for each player.
Set up the cones in a marked off area, with five on the starting line and four opposite these, as shown. Between cones three and four and seven and eight, place at least four more cones.
The aim is to dribble the ball from cone one to cone nine. Players dribble to cone two and back down to cone three. Players then dribble in and out of the cones up to cone four, dribble back to five, up to six and down to seven. Players then dribble in and out of the cones up to cone eight and back down to nine, then back to one and start again. 5 laps.
- Encourage players to run at pace
- Mirror the practice and have races
- Time each lap as a target for each player to beat
- Move cones closer together to challenge skills
- Players encouraged to use both feet
- Emphasis is on keeping the ball close to feet and keeping control of the ball
- Encourage players to use tricks and pieces of skill
- Feints / drop shoulder, nutmegs, knock & run, big toe little toe, etc.