The aim is to improve passing, and receiving. 2 teams of at least 4 players each are needed for this drill. Teams stand in 2 lines facing each other about 4 meters apart.
Basketball Passing Drills
How: 1 of the players at the front of the line starts with the ball. The player with the ball chest passes the ball to the first player in the opposite team. The player that has just passed the ball then follows their pass around the receiver and to the back of that line. This drill continues for around a minute.
- Increase speed of the drill
- Use different passes i.e. overhead and bounce passes.
- When using the chest pass keep the elbows in, and the hands slightly behind the ball in a relaxed handshake position. Step in the direction of the pass then extend the knees, back and arms forward and release the ball. On the follow through arms should be extended, palms facing down and fingers pointing to the target.
- The action of the overhead pass is very similar to that of the chest pass, except the ball should be held above the forehead, and just before release the wrist and fingers should be flexed to produce the power.
- Again the action of the bounce pass is similar to the other 2 passes, however with the bounce pass, the ball should be held at waist level, and the ball should bounce about 2/3rds of the distance to the target.
- Use the 'W' shape to catch the ball
- Make sure players call for the ball