The aim is to improve passing and receiving. Start with 4 or 5 players on 1 team standing in a circle, and another player in the middle of the circle. 1 player starts with the ball and they have to use a chest pass to deliver the ball to another team mate.
Basketball Passing Drills
The player in the middle has to try and intercept the pass, if the pass is intercepted the passer must go in the middle and the player in the middle moves to the outside.
- Use different passes i.e. overhead and bounce pass.
- Have less players on the outside of the circle.
- Use the 'W' shape to catch the ball
- When using the chest pass keep the elbows in, and the hands slightly behind the ball in a relaxed handshake position. Step in the direction of the pass then extend the knees, back and arms forward and release the ball. On the follow through arms should be extended, palms facing down and fingers pointing to the target.
- The action of the overhead pass is very similar to that of the chest pass, except the ball should be held above the forehead, and just before release the wrist and fingers should be flexed to produce the power.
- Again the action of the bounce pass is similar to the other 2 passes, however with the bounce pass, the ball should be held at waist level, and the ball should bounce about 2/3rds of the distance to the target.