Players receive a long pass and have to control the ball keeping it within a coned area then passing back to their partner.
Soccer Control Drills
Aim: To improve control and 1st touch
Suitable for: U9’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area, 10 cones, 1 balls for 2 players
Organisation: Players set up as in the video and diagram. The distance between the boxes and the size of the box should be adjusted depending on the age and the ability of the players. Players pass the ball between each other, trying to keep the ball in the box with 1st touch, to start with players are allowed 3 touches before passing to other box. Continuous practice for 5 minute.
- Increase tempo
- Limit touches to 2, more emphasis on the quality on the 1st touch to get ball under control and out of feet
- Players can pass the ball in the air for control with knee, head or chest.
- Vary distance between players and size of box
- Quality of 1st touch / soft boot
- Body shape / movement
- Player alert and on their toes
- Player to react to the flight of the ball