A mini game where three players link up to try and knock the ball off a central cone whist a lone defender attempts to block.
Soccer Control Drills
Aim: To improve control and 1st touch
Suitable for: U10’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area, 8 cones, 2 balls for 4 players
Organisation: In a square, 4 players work 3 v 1. A smaller square with a ball on a cone is placed in the middle of the area. To score a point the team of 3 must pass the ball around until an opportunity to knock the ball off the cone arises. The single defender can not go in the centre box. Continuous practice for 1 minute then swap defender.
- Limit touches to 2, but encourage 1, with the emphasis on the quality on the 1st touch or pass to create a scoring opportunity
- Make centre square bigger to allow team of 3 less room to manoeuvre
- Quality of 1st touch / soft boot
- Body shape / movement
- Player alert and on their toes
- Player to communicate at all times
- Speed of play
- Lofted passes / header finish