Two players shoot from different sides of the goal aiming to force the goalkeeper to react and change sides quickly.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U9’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area, cones and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, two servers, 10 balls. The aim of the drill is for the servers to shoot / volley / throw at the goal in 2 different directions. One server hits the ball low to the goalkeeper’s right and the other server then aims high to the goalkeepers left. The timing of the shots is important, Working the keeper is the aim but do not make it impossible for them not to save the ball.
- Increase / decrease tempo of shots
- Disguise the shot so the first one could be high or low or to the left or right.
- Increase / decrease distances between servers and GK.
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Stance - bend the knees to lower the body, head and shoulders up straight. The legs are now loaded like springs for quicker reaction to low or high shots
- Decision making regarding the positioning of the hands / arms. Elbows tucked in with hands up or hand low.