Two players vs the goalkeeper. They mix it up between passing and shooting direct and the keeper must anticipate and react.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U9’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, one server, one forward and 10 balls. The aim of the drill is for the server to either shoot towards the near post, high or low, alternatively the server can pass the ball to the forward for a 1st time shot. The emphasis is on the GK’s decision making, anticipating where the ball is going, and quick feet, keeping the body square and if possible behind the ball.
- Increase / decrease tempo of shots
- Increase the distance between server, the forward and GK.
- Change angles of server and forward
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Stance - bend the knees to lower the body, head and shoulders up straight.
- GK’s body to be relaxed at all times to aid quick movement