Players cross the ball in high from different angles and the keeper must catch and throw the ball back.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U10’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area, cones and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, 8 players with one ball each. In order starting left to right the serving player hits a lofted cross in to the marked zone in the penalty area. The GK must come with confidence and catch the ball at its highest point. To get the best possible jump, the goalkeeper should jump off one leg and lift the knee. If the GK collects the ball they must move towards the edge of the box and throw the ball towards the cones, simulating a fast break attack.
- Randomly number the servers so the GK does not know which direction the next cross is coming from.
- Place a forward in the marked area to try and get on the end of the crosses
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- The goalkeeper should jump off one leg and lift the knee
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Starting position