The ball is crossed in at varying heights and positions and the goalkeeper competes with two defenders to catch the ball.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U11’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area, cones and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, one server, one wide player, one defender, two forwards and 10 balls. The aim of the drill is for the server to cross the ball from a wide area or corner in to the cones area around the 6yd box. The 2 forwards and the defender are allowed to compete for the ball. The emphasis is on the GK’s decision making, anticipating the flight and speed of the ball to come and catch the ball at its highest point. If the GK collects the ball they must move towards the edge of the box and throw the ball towards the wide play simulating a fast break attack.
- Alternate sides so crosses come in from both the left and right wide positions.
- Change angles of server
- Wide player can cross balls in to coned area.
- Drive crosses
- Loft crosses
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- Communication, keep talking to the defenders and other players around the last 3rd of the pitch (KEEPER’S BALL !!!) Even at training it is good practice to shout loud for the ball
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Starting position