The ball is fed in on the half volley towards the goalkeepers chest and they must catch safely and return the ball. A good drill for a quick warm up to get the arms and hands moving.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U7’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, one server, 10 balls. The aim of the drill is for the server to half volley shots straight at the keeper's chest. The chest catch is needed when the shot is right at the keeper, as the ball arrives, the keeper should surround it with his arms, elbows close together to trap it against the chest.
- Increase / decrease tempo of shots
- Increase the distance between servers and GK.
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Stance - bend the knees to lower the body, head and shoulders up straight. as the ball arrives, the keeper should surround it with his arms, elbows close together to trap it against the chest