The ball is thrown high in the air and the goalkeeper must catch it above the head. This drill works well as a warm up for intercepting crosses and long passes.
Soccer Goalkeeping Drills
Aim: To improve Goalkeeping techniques
Suitable for: U7’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area and balls
Organisation: Play is set up using one goal, one GK, one server, 10 balls. The aim of the drill is for the server to half volley / or throw the ball above the keeper’s head. The ‘W’ catch is used by the goalkeeper when the ball is high or going over the head of the GK. It is important to lock the wrists getting the body in line with the flight of the ball as quickly as possible using good footwork.
- Increase / decrease tempo of shots
- Increase the distance between servers and GK.
- Change angles
- Keeper to be on toes all the time
- Anticipation & awareness
- Footwork - agility & flexibility
- Stance - bend the knees to lower the body, head and shoulders up straight. as the ball arrives, lock the wrists getting the body in line with the flight of the ball as quickly as possible