The player tries to head the ball through coned gates placed around and behind the players feeding the balls in. More confident players can have the gates smaller or farther away.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve attacking and defensive heading techniques
Suitable for: U10’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, balls and cones
Organisation: Players set up as shown in the video and diagram. 3 players act as servers for 1 working player. The 1st server throws the ball and the working player has to make a decision on how to deal with it depending on the flight, height and speed of the ball. They can either head downwards through gates 3, defensively towards gates 2 or long and high defensively towards gate 1. After 3 attempts rotate working player.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players, servers and the coned gates
- Working player to call for the ball
- Servers throw in a random order
- Servers to have 3 balls each so working player has 9 attempts before changing
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Communication between the player and the server
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it earlier
- Player to attack the ball for more power