Player tries to head the ball through cone gate targets placed around and behind the players feeding the balls in.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve attacking and defensive heading techniques
Suitable for: U10’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, balls and cones
Organisation: Players set up as shown in the video and diagram. 3 players act as servers for 1 working player. The 1st server throws the ball and the working player has to make a decision on how to deal with it depending on the flight, height and speed of the ball. They can either head downwards through gates 3, defensively towards gates 2 or long and high defensively towards gate 1. After 3 attempts rotate working player.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players, servers and the coned gates
- Working player to call for the ball
- Servers throw in a random order
- Servers to have 3 balls each so working player has 9 attempts before changing
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Communication between the player and the server
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it earlier
- Player to attack the ball for more power