Players head the ball in a circle between them aiming to keep it up as long as possible.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve attacking and defensive heading techniques
Suitable for: U11’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, 1 ball between the group of players.
Organisation: Players set up in a circle. The aim of the drill is to keep the ball off the ground for as long as possible with the players only using their heads. Players need to head the ball up so next player has time to prepare body shape for heading the ball on and also to observe the position of the next player.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players
- When a player has head the ball he must do an activity before he can head the ball again, like a press up or sit up
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Communication between the players
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it earlier