Players run into a central area before moving out to head the ball into either the near post or far post.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve attacking heading techniques.
Suitable for: U11’s and upwards.
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, balls and cones
Organisation: Players set up as shown in the video and diagram. Players start from the edge of the box. 2 server’s stand either side of the goal. One player makes a run towards the centre cone and quickly changes direction towards the box and calls for the ball and tries to score. When the player heads the ball they must join the back of the other group. In Box 1 players head towards near post, In Box 2 players head towards far post. Both sides can go at the same time.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players, the servers and the goal
- Add goalkeepers, but one player must go in turn
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Communication between the player and the server
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it at the earliest possible time
- Player to attack the ball using upper back and neck for power