Players run into an area marked by cones to meet the ball and aim to head the ball into the goal.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve attacking heading techniques
Suitable for: U11’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, balls, cones and poles.
Organisation: Players set up as shown in the video and diagram. Players split in to 2 teams with 2 servers. Both sides can go at the same time. Players make a run towards the goal and call for the ball from the server and head the ball in to the goal between the post and the pole.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players
- When a player has head the ball he must sprint to the edge of the box, do an activity, like a press up or sit up then join the end of the other queue of players
- Add goalkeepers
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Communication between the player and the server
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it earlier
- Player to attack the ball for more power