Four players stand in a square. One player feeds the nezt who heads it on to the next who feeds the last player and so on.
Soccer Heading Drills
Aim: To improve defensive heading techniques and accuracy
Suitable for: U11’s and upwards
Equipment: Marked area appropriate size for age, 9 cones, 1 ball between 4 players.
Organisation: Players set up in a square. One player throws the ball up to the player next to them. This player must then head the ball to the player on the other side of them, who catches the ball and the sequence of throw, head, catch is repeated around the square.
Swap roles of players so everyone gets to head the ball.
- Players should try and head the ball all the way around the square.
- Increase / decrease the distance between players
- Players can move around the box so the header must be directed
- Players can head in any direction to any player
- Timing of the header
- Direction of the header
- Use the forehead, not the top of the head
- Players to jump for the ball to take it earlier