The aim is to increase players range of vision and awareness whilst defending in order to make an interception.
Netball Defensive Movment
Organisation: Set two cones approximately two metres apart. Attacking player sidesteps between the two cones at an even pace whilst the worker shadows the player and attempts to intercept the ball from a static feeder.
- Small foot base keeping on your toes making small movements using side steps and slip steps (a slip step is a cross over where when moving to the right the left leg leads over the top of the right leg and vice versa).
- Weight centrally balanced with knees flexed.
- Defender half covers the attacking player with body slightly angled in order to see the feeder with the ball.
- Keep head still and eyes up (you should be able to see the ball and attacking player at the same time without turning the head).
- Use arms appropriately to increase speed.
- Once the ball is released by the feeder, the defender should sprint towards the ball in order to make a clean interception.
- Introduction of attacking moves (1st stage defence - level 3).