The aim is to increase players range of vision and awareness of the space around them whilst defending.
Netball Defensive Movment
Organisation: Set two cones approximately two metres apart. Attacking player sidesteps between the two cones at an even pace whilst the worker shadows the player and identifies the coloured cones being shown.
- Small foot base keeping on your toes (making small movements using side steps and slip steps).
- Weight centrally balanced with knees flexed.
- Defender half covers the attacking player with their body slightly angled in order to see the person with the cones.
- Keep head still and eyes up (you should be able to see the cones and attacking player at the same time without turning the head).
- Use arms appropriately to increase speed.
- Introduction of ball (1st stage defence - level 2).