The aim is to send a defender in the wrong direction.
Organisation: 3 players – 1 worker, 1 shadowing defender and 1 feeder. Cones can be used to signal a point to drive towards. Worker sprints in one direction and then suddenly drives off in another, leaving the defender committed to the direction of the first move.
- Body weight over the feet, knees and ankles flexed
- Head up, eyes on the ball and feeder
- Sprint in chosen direction as if wanting to receive the ball
- Suddenly plant the outside foot whilst bending the knee, turn head, shoulders and hips to face the new direction and drive off again
- Take the pass at speed, jumping to control the landing which should be in an upright, balanced position
- Vary angles and directions moved in
- Increase pressure from defender
- Apply technique to a 3v3 game or other small game situations with conditions “every ball must be passed to someone who has used a change of direction”