he Piriformis muscle is an important muscle. The sciatic nerve passes underneath this muscle on its route down to the posterior thigh. In some individuals the nerve can actually pass right through the muscle.This can lead to sciatica symptoms due to a condition known as piriformis syndrome.
- Anterior surface of the lateral sacrum
- Greater trochanter of the femur
- External rotation of the hip
- Hip abduction
- Branch of the sacral plexus
- Taking the first leg out of the car
How can I stretch it?
How can I strengthen it?
- Hip abduction using body weight
- Hip abduction using a resistance band
- Outer thigh machine