This drill encourages the striker to run at angles by zig zagging through an agility course then along a line of cones to shoot. The effectiveness of this drill can be maximised by varying the angle of approach to create different shooting situations
Soccer shooting drills
Aim: To improve shooting technique
Suitable for: U9’s and upwards
Equipment: 1 goal, 3 balls, 5 slalom poles, cones.
Organisation: 1 striker works with 2 wide players, the player has 3 attempts to score. Starting point as shown in diagram. The player hits a ball to a wide player and then runs through the slalom poles runs towards the goal following one of the marked roots to the near or far post (no straight runs) and shoots 1st time. As soon as the player shoots they must sprint to the starting cone and repeat activity.
- Must be high tempo
- One shot must be with weaker foot and one with the head
- Add defenders to pressure player as he picks up the ball
- Accuracy of shot
- Shot selection (driven, side foot placed, lob, curl, etc)
- Vision, awareness of goalkeepers position
- Players encouraged to make up their own runs