A line out occurs when the ball goes out of play. The following drills and practices help a team develop skills to win the lineout including lifting where safety is essential.
Basic Lineout with Drive
This drill shows two options for practicing a lineout, a quick pass to the second man and a catch and drive.
Lineout with Lift
This is the first step to the lineout.
Lineouts are only allowed in under16’s rugby and onwards.
- The lifters must face the jumper and have to coordinate the jump and decide how much height the lift has.
- Their job once the player is in the air is to hold him there, until the ball is thrown in.
- Once the player has lifted up, the lifters should step in, this makes it easier to support him, with the elbows locked.
- The lifters must then control the descent down.
- The catcher must drive upwards, keep his eyes on the ball, catch it, and then offload it to one of the support players on the ground.
- The support players on the ground who do not receive the ball should be alert and ready and should be able to react to any situation.